Friday, April 24, 2015

Trim & Tasty Tostadas

My May Issue of the Cooking Light Magazine arrived and I finally have some time to look at it. Three of the tostada recipes really sound good to me. I will be sharing them below. Being from California I love Mexican food, but want it to be healthy and not kill all my progress at the gym and with my fitness program. It is not just enough to work out and eat crap in the kitchen. Most of our results are driven from the kitchen. What is your favorite cuisine? 

Tip: Replace corn tortillas with a 6 inch whole grain corn tortillas---
will save 30 calories and 200mg sodium

Bake 1 6-inch whole-grain corn tortilla on oven rack at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp.

Baja Fish & Avocado

Calories: 182
Fat: 7.4 grams (sat 13 g)
Sodium 49 mg

2 ounces pan seared tilapia
1/4 cup sliced avocado
2 tbsp fresh cilantro

All American Steak:

Calories: 189
Fat: 6.9g (sat 2 g)
Sodium: 291mg

2 ounces grilled flank steak, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sliced green bell peppers and onions
1/2 tsp olive oil

Smoky Egg & Cheese

Calories: 180
Fat: 9.7g (sat 3.4 g)
Sodium: 291mg

1 large fried egg
2 tbsp chipotle salsa
1 tbsp cheddar cheese
11/2 tsp green onions, thinly sliced

Greek Tostada

CALORIES 200; FAT 7.5g (2.8g sat fat); SODIUM 67mg

2 ounces ground beef (I will substitute with ground turkey)
3 grape tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp sour cream

Vegetarian Black Bean Tostada

CALORIES 174; FAT 4.7g (0.7g sat fat); SODIUM 340mg

1/3 c. low sodium black beans
2 tbsp salsa fresca 
2 tbsp guacamole

You can find a few other recipes for tostadas by clicking HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Greek Style Chicken

Need a simple dinner? You have got to try out this recipe. The chicken is flavorful and tender I highly recommend this recipe. I paired it ...