Thursday, December 14, 2017

Chili Mac

So last night was one of those nights when I needed an unplanned simple dinner. This chili mac used some of what was in the house with limited other spending which makes it a win. It is the perfect meal for those on a budget, like myself! As a college student I am big on healthy and filling meals that won’t break the bank and I don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen.

What you will need:
1 1/2 cups cooked macaroni noodles
1 lb of ground beef or turkey (I used turkey)
1/2 can of corn
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1/2 jalapeño, chopped and seeded
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp coconut oil OR olive oil
1 tsp chili powder, turmeric, garlic powder, salt and pepper, cumin
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used Colby and Monterey Jack)

In a pan add the coconut or olive oil and allow the pot to heat up
Add in the minced garlic, onion, bell pepper and sauté till soft and translucent
Add in your meat and cook. Make sure to stir occasionally so that the veggies don’t stick.
While the meat is browning you can go ahead and make your noodles. Cook according to the package. I recommend cooking till al-dente as they will cook in the pot as well.
Drain the pasta, add to the pot with the tomatoes, spices, corn (if desired), jalapeño
Stir everything together and allow it to come to a boil, reduce heat to low; add in the cheese and give it a stir.
Let it sit for about 10 minutes to thicken. Serve & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Greek Style Chicken

Need a simple dinner? You have got to try out this recipe. The chicken is flavorful and tender I highly recommend this recipe. I paired it ...