Monday, March 7, 2016

Slow Cooker Chicken Chili

I don't know about you but I love making meals in my slow cooker. It is a simple way to make a healthy meal without spending the whole day in the kitchen. Thank you Pinterest for another delicious meal idea. This is a recipe I was a little hesitant to try out due to the salsa verde and the chicken. I wasn't sure how it would work out but it was worth it. It never hurts to try new things and that is one thing I love about my health and fitness journey.



Last night I started prepping the chili and it did not look like much. The sauce wasn't thickening and the taste just wasn't there. Before hitting the books for college I put some corn and chili seasoning in and let it cook on low for a couple of hours while I worked on homework. I turned it off before bed and let it sit overnight. I woke up shredded the chicken breast and turned it on low for a couple of hours and just tasted it. It is absolutely delicious, the chili has thickened and it has just the right taste.

So here it is the recipe for how to make chicken chili...I hope you all like it!

Ingredients:

  • 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 can black beans (drained)
  • 1 can kidney beans (drained)
  • 1 can pinto beans (drained)
  • 1 can northwestern beans (drained)
  • Chicken Spices: garlic powder, chili, no salt seasoning, thyme, oregano, italian seasoning, cumin, & a dash of chipotle seasoning. 
  • 1 can of corn or a package of Steamable corn
  • 2 cups salsa verde

OPTIONAL:  green onion, onion, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado (sliced), tortilla chips

Directions:

  1. Marinate the chicken in spices overnight (see chicken spices)
  2. Spray the inside of the crock pot with cooking spray & add the 2 cups of chicken broth, salsa verde, chicken, beans and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
  3. Serve and enjoy with the optional topping ideas




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Greek Style Chicken

Need a simple dinner? You have got to try out this recipe. The chicken is flavorful and tender I highly recommend this recipe. I paired it ...