Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Blueberry Pie Filling

I have been on a journey to live a healthier lifestyle since 2014. One thing I have learned while on this journey is that you can't lose weight without putting the work in while in the kitchen. I have made nutrition a critical part of my journey to getting healthier. I enjoy trying out new recipes that are healthy and allow me to enjoy tasty food while not sacrificing the results that I work so hard for. While my friends and I were heading to the store I Googled "healthy pie recipes" and found this recipe. Two things that are great about this recipe is (1) my friends got to have pie for dessert on National Pi Day, and (2) the recipe was healthy and not filled with garbage ingredients. 



Ingredients:
  • 1 lb of fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp of cornstarch
  • 2 tbsp cold water
  • 1 graham cracker pie crust (I used a prepared graham cracker crust)

Directions:

  1. Heat the blueberries in a saucepan over medium heat until they begin to boil. Simmer gently for 10 minutes. 
  2. Add the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and cook for another two minutes
  3. Mix the cornstarch well with the water, and pour the mixture into the simmering blueberries while stirring. Cook, stirring until mixture becomes clear and thick. Continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
  4. Spoon the mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Greek Style Chicken

Need a simple dinner? You have got to try out this recipe. The chicken is flavorful and tender I highly recommend this recipe. I paired it ...