Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Homemade Chicken & Rice Soup

The Summer humidity has my allergies acting up and has me a bit under the weather. The plan for dinner was originally Chinese, but due to how I am feeling soup just sounded better. While at the store I browsed Pinterest for a healthy and quick soup idea and came across this recipe. I did not cook it as the recipe instructed I decided to make it my own. Nothing is better when you aren't feeling well than chicken soup. I hate chicken and noodle soup but homemade chicken and rice soup is no problem. This is a quick and healthy dinner for those days when you don't feel well. This is my first batch of homemade chicken and rice soup and it was a SUCCESS. 


Ingredients:

  • 1 lb of boneless skinless chicken breasts, baked
  • 2 carrots
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 small or large bay leaves
  • 1/2 a yellow onion
  • 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp sage
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • jasmine rice
  • pepper to taste and salt if desired
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cube chicken bouillon
  • 4 cups water, divided
  • cooking spray


Directions:

  1. Chop vegetables and add them to a large pot. Add the broth and begin cooking on low heat
  2. Spray a cooking pan with cooking spray and add chicken breasts to the pan. Season with spices that you like. (I used lemon pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, cumin, rosemary, & thyme) Add 1 cup of water and a chicken bouillon cube to the pan and allow to cook til the chicken is cooked.
  3. Slice the chicken into bite size pieces and add to the broth mixture.
  4. Allow to cook for an hour on medium high heat, add in the rice and turn the heat down to low. 
  5. Once the soup gets to the consistency that you like you can serve & ENJOY!


I hope you all enjoy the recipe and if you try it out I would love to hear from you and how you enjoyed the recipe. Have a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Greek Style Chicken

Need a simple dinner? You have got to try out this recipe. The chicken is flavorful and tender I highly recommend this recipe. I paired it ...